Managing People's Perfromance Getting the Best from Your People. Consistently
Managing performance is much more than being able to run an effective staff appraisal. It begins with ensuring – as far as possible - that you have the right people, in the right jobs. You then ensure that they are clear about the outcomes they are to deliver and the standards they must achieve. They need to receive a good orientation into the team and appropriate training. Plus you must monitor their progress regularly, offering coaching and support when they go off track, or praise when they do a great job. You must also be prepared to hold the occasional tough conversation, in a more formal disciplinary setting.
Unsurprisingly, managing people’s performance is the ultimate purpose of a manager in an organisation. It requires sound people and organisational skills, underpinned by your organisation’s HR policies and procedures which support you in managing legally. It can be a complex subject, but it needn’t be. This practical course will guide you through the key stages in the performance management process, providing you with practical and transferable frameworks to help you consistently get the best out of your people: from hire to retire.
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand what ‘performance’ really means for your team
- Identify the key skills and attributes required for a role – and when to review
- Effectively orientate new team members
- Agree clear and meaningful individual objectives that align to team goals
- Flex your management approaches to the individual
- Provide workplace coaching and mentoring
- Conduct objective reviews and give constructive feedback
- Hold tough conversations with confidence